[Linphone-developers] Building linphone-iOS as PIE binary

From: Benjamin Williams
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Building linphone-iOS as PIE binary
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 10:35:46 -0600

It used to be the case that if I built liblinphone with enable_gpl_third_parties=no, the resulting app that I built in xcode would contain the PIE flag in the header for ARM.  With more recent versions of linphone, I still build liblinphone with enable_gpl_third_parties=no, however now when I build an app archive in xcode, the app has two headers(see below), the ARM header no longer has the PIE flag, but the ARM64 header does.   Is this sufficient?  Or does the app need to have the PIE flag on the ARM header as well?  If so, does anyone know what I need to do differently to get the ARM architecture to be PIE since it used to work?

The app has to be PIE in order to work with a third party mobile device management platform, and I'm not sure if missing the flag on one of the headers is going to cause me a problem or not, I was just surprised to find it missing.

This is the newer header:

myapp.app/myapp:

Mach header

      magic cputype cpusubtype  caps    filetype ncmds sizeofcmds      flags

   MH_MAGIC     ARM         V7  0x00     EXECUTE    43       4536   NOUNDEFS DYLDLINK TWOLEVEL WEAK_DEFINES BINDS_TO_WEAK

myapp.app/myapp (architecture arm64):

Mach header

      magic cputype cpusubtype  caps    filetype ncmds sizeofcmds      flags

MH_MAGIC_64   ARM64        ALL  0x00     EXECUTE    43       5096   NOUNDEFS DYLDLINK TWOLEVEL WEAK_DEFINES BINDS_TO_WEAK PIE

This is the older header:

myapp.app/myapp:

Mach header

      magic cputype cpusubtype  caps    filetype ncmds sizeofcmds      flags

   MH_MAGIC     ARM         V7  0x00     EXECUTE    44       4584   NOUNDEFS DYLDLINK TWOLEVEL WEAK_DEFINES BINDS_TO_WEAK PIE

Thanks for any help or insight,

Ben Williams