Re: [Linphone-developers] bug tracker

From: Eli Burke
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] bug tracker
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 11:31:39 -0500

Anton Pomozov has covered the parts of your email relevant to him; I just want
to add a few more points. The low message traffic on this mailing list, and the
infrequent communications from the developers may give you the impression that
nothing is going on, or that no contributions have been made in two years.

That could not be further from the truth. I’ve been following linphone for just
overt two years, and the developers have made a huge number of changes in that
time. The iPhone and Android clients have had major updates (and presumably
Windows Mobile and desktop Windows / Mac / Linux as well). At the library
level, OpenSSL was replaced with PolarSSL. zrtpcpp was replaced with an
in-house implementation called bzrtp. eXoSIP was replaced with an in-house
implementation called belle-sip. g729 has been implemented as bcg629. They are
also working on their own SIP service, and have added remote account
provisioning, file transfer and inline images for SIMPLE chat, presence /
subscriptions, and at the transport level, DTLS and RTP feedback profiles. It’s
pretty modern stuff, as far as SIP stacks go.

Granted, some of these changes would qualify as treading water: I imagine they
are re-implementing libraries to have more control over the implementation, or
more likely, for licensing reasons. They now have unencumbered versions of
everything but the VIDEO subsystem. So there is plenty of activity going on.

It’s also clear from the source, and from their messages, that they do have a
significant investment in automated build systems, source control, and bug
tracking. It’s just all opaque to us because we are not the customers.
Belladonne is not a non-profit organization. The source code is open, which is
great for us, but Belladonne is a business. They are not likely to answer
feature requests that don’t align with their business model, or pay much
attention to bugs that don’t affect paying customers. If you are willing to
help then great, do it. Post patches here. Maybe someone can use them, or maybe
they will be integrated into the master source.

-Eli