[Linphone-developers] linphone on a DM368 and mediastreamer2 plugins cap

From: Craig Matsuura
Subject: [Linphone-developers] linphone on a DM368 and mediastreamer2 plugins capture encoder
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:46:19 +0000

We are looking at uing linphone on a DM368 IPNC EVM Camera.

I'm investigating creating a plugin for a TI DM368 using the IPNC Appro camera EVM.  Video capture and encoding is done with a process on the EVM called av_server and they have a custom interface to capture encoded frames.  They have sample code for interfacing to the capture/encoder and I wanted to port this interface as a MS2 plugin.

My understanding of the interface is limited as I did not author the interface but I do have source as it is all open source. (The leverage live555 wis-streamer and have created a interface for the wis-streamer).  The encoder is a H264.

I have started my plugin buy looking at the x264 plugin, however this is an encoder only.  I also have looked at the v4l2 and nowebcam plugins as references (these are capture plugins).  I'm not find much documentation on creating a capture encoder plugin but found a category type MS_FILTER_ENCODING_CAPTURER, which implies the plugin can do capture and encoding.

I'm unsure of a few things and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

  1. Which methods do I need to implement ( at a minimum to create a encoder/capture plugin)
    1. There are several methods for a capture and encoder, clarification on each method would be helpful.
  2. In the MSFilterDesc are there ninputs=0 and noutputs=1?
  3. When should I use preprocess/process and postprocess in regards to the frames? (I hope this question makes sense)
  4. Since the HW decoder on the DM368 is H264, I assume the MSFilterDesc.enc_fmt is "H264"
  5. MSFilterDesc.id = MS_FILTER_PLUGIN_ID?
  6. How do I added a MSWebcam device, I assume this will also be provided as it is a capture and encoder plugin.  Looking at the msv4l2 plugin it was unclear to me how you add the camera and which methods I need to implement for a capture/encoder plugin.

I would really appreciate some help and if this is the wrong place to post such a question, please help me get this posted in the right place.