Re: [Linphone-developers] NPAPI deprecated on Google Chrome

From: Ghislain MARY
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] NPAPI deprecated on Google Chrome
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:00:40 +0200

Hi,

The linphone web plugin do not use the NPAPI directly but via firebreath.
Take a look at http://www.firebreath.org/display/documentation/Browser+Plugins+in+a+post-NPAPI+world for more information about the status of firebreath regarding the deprecation of NPAPI.
But I will quote an important phrase from this page regarding the Pepper API: "We have confirmed that PPAPI will not work because while Chrome supports it they don't provide any way for third parties to install PPAPI plugins.  The only method of doing so involves a command-line argument, which is unsuitable for most purposes."
So as of now, it looks like the linphone web plugin will no longer work on Google Chrome. Please also note that it already does not work in the "Metro" style internet explorer because Microsoft disables all extensions/plugins in this mode.
In fact, it looks like everybody wants to kill the plugin support in the web browsers so we'll see what happens next.

Cheers,
Ghislain