[Linphone-developers] Changing target bitrate for Opus?

From: Jared Serbu
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Changing target bitrate for Opus?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 23:13:57 -0400

I'm attempting to use Linphone in an environment that needs something very close to transparent audio in both directions. The default Linphone implementation of Opus performs extremely well for day-to-day conversational use and sounds good to my ears, but I know the underlying codec can deliver better audio quality if it's allowed to operate at higher bitrates than Linphone seems (?) to allow.

As far as I can tell, the Linphone implementation of Opus is hard-coded to limit the codec to a target bitrate of 36000 bps. I've mucked around a bit with msopus.c and rebuilt from source to no avail...but for purposes of full disclosure, I'm also pretty incompetent when it comes to modifying source code.

Before I go much further, just thought I'd ask if there's a "right" way to do what I want (increase Opus' target bitrate) -- whether that's via modifying and rebuilding from source, or even if there's a secret trick within the UI to pull this off via the fmtp line or some other method.

Thanks in advance,
Jared