[Linphone-developers] Patch to support different alsa configurations

From: ingo . krabbe
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Patch to support different alsa configurations
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:36:05 +0200

Inline: /n/ask/home/ingo/Software/linphone/patch

Hey Linphoners,

today I tried to setup my laptop with linphone. I use two soundcards in my
laptop, one for radio/music listening is a HighDefinition USB Card plugged into
a hifi amplifier and should be used for ring tones only, as I want to notice
when a call comes in, the other one I want to use for playback through
headphones.

Once you got familiar with alsa you should switch off any sound daemons, imho,
as its much harder to customize sound daemon configuration, but configuring
alsa. So did I, years ago actually.

Of course I don't want linphone to block control of my sound devices as other
software I might want to run as my favourite game, a browser or a music player
might want to play audio through the cards too. So I cannot use the device
detection algorithm, that finds cards only, but I need to specify two custom
alsa devices, that are configured as dmix slaves.

But the alsadev configuration string is interpreted as one string and repeated
configuration strings aren't handled. So with the current source code I can
only setup one custom alsa device.

The patch attached modifies the configuration algorithm to read alsadev as a ,
separated list of custom alsa devices.

If you extend the delimiters to several characters (",;:" for example) you
should write some extra code to strip delimiters from the string. I can do that
if you request that, but the code works for me, so I'll leave it as it is for
now.

cheers ingo