Re: [Linphone-developers] [release] linphone-3.7.0

From: Simon MORLAT
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] [release] linphone-3.7.0
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:41:12 +0100

This is probably not OS-specific but camera specific (so Linux or
anything else is affected as well); in particular all Mac models without
built-in cameras, like MacPro, MacMini (older PowerBooks etc).

Linux is not concerned by this problem. The libv4l can do all kind of rescaling operation.

Currently video in Linphone is in bandwidth-limited environments
practically not usable if an externally attached firewire camera
accidentally does not support frame sizes which are not qqvga-multiples.

(Under OSX if I nevertheless specify any of qcif-multiple sizes for
Linphone, a black picture is the result.  So it would be really great to
restore qvga and also add qqvga.)

I've digged into mac OS documentation and forum discussions, because Linphone is not the only one to suffer from this problem. I logged a bug report in our internal bug tracker so that we follow this problem. The objective would be to be able to support all possible video sizes up to the camera's biggest resolution, just as the MacOS documentation says:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/QTKitApplicationProgrammingGuide/UsingQTKit/UsingQTKit.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008156-CH108-SW41

However the doc doesn't seem to be true:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/quicktime-api/2013/Feb/msg00001.html

Regards,

Simon

    Eeri Kask