[Linphone-developers] unable to build linphone android on mac, stuck at

From: Graham Briggs
Subject: [Linphone-developers] unable to build linphone android on mac, stuck at 'syntax error near unexpected token MEDIASTREAMER'
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 12:04:12 -0700

Can anyone help me build Linphone android project on a mac (OS 10.8.5).

I have done all of the preliminary setup (build autoconf and related tools, set path, …) that it defines in the read me (except the ia32-libs package please see note below).

Note:  I did not install the ia32-libs package as it suggests I may need in the readme.  I was unable to find reliable instructions on how this is done on mac, and I found a few posts that it is not necessary anyway.  I am not sure if the missing ia32-libs package is related to the problem.

When I run make, I am stuck at the following error:

checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
/Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/mssilk/configure: line 11415: syntax error near unexpected token `MEDIASTREAMER,'
/Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/mssilk/configure: line 11415: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(MEDIASTREAMER, mediastreamer >= 2.0.0)'
make: *** [/Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/mssilk/Makefile] Error 2

Does anyone recognize this error?  Do you have instructions to get past it?

For a very detailed description of the exact steps I followed to get to this point, please see the bottom of this mail.

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration with my question.

GB
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Building Linphone for Android:

Note:  Some of these steps I had to complete because this is my first project using the android NDK, and is also my first project on a mac where I have built packages from sources on the command line.

First Attempt

  1. Eclipse ADT is installed.

  1. Download Android NDK, copy to my android adt directory.

  1. Note, used  curl instead of wget )
  2. Second note, also had to download and build yasm in order to finish building autotools.
    1. Yasm Sources downloaded from here:http://yasm.tortall.net/releases/Release1.2.0.html
    2. ./configure, make, make install

  1. Add NDK,  SDK, SDK/tools to path
GBMACBKPRO:linphone-android grahambriggs$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/sdk/platforms/android-18:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/sdk/tools:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/ndk:

  1. Get entire source with git clone git://git.linphone.org/linphone-android.git --recursive

  1. Ran make, failed, error message said libtoolize unrecognized

  1. Added location of libtool and other autconf binaries to path.
GBMACBKPRO:linphone-android grahambriggs$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/sdk/platforms/android-18:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/sdk/tools:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/ndk:/Users/grahambriggs/local/bin

  1. Ran make, failed with error indicating wget is unrecognized command

  1. Downloaded wget-1.5.3.tar.gz (using curl), unzipped and built from sources (./configure , make, make install)

  1. Ran make, failed at this point:

cd /Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/libilbc-rfc3951/downloads && make \
   || ( echo "iLBC prepare stage failed" ; exit 1 )
/usr/local/bin/wget --no-check-certificate http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3951.txt -O rfc3951.txt
wget: unrecognized option `--no-check-certificate'
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.

make[1]: *** [../src/iLBC_define.h] Error 2
iLBC prepare stage failed

  1. After reading some linphone posts that suggested you must have apache ant in your path (and before I read that apache ant is pre installed on mac), I installed Apache ant
    1. Installed macports
    2. Install apache ant using macports

port install apache-ant

  1. Added location of apache ant to path
GBMACBKPRO:linphone-android grahambriggs$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/sdk/platforms/android-18:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/sdk/tools:/Applications/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64/ndk:/Users/grahambriggs/local/bin:/opt/local/share/java/apache-ant

Note - step 11 and 12 did not solve the problem

Still stuck at same place - weget unrecognized

Second Attempt:

Found this nice clear set of instructions on stack overflow:

and

  1. With fresh folder, git clone the source again

  1. Open terminal in that directory, and setup path with sdk, sdk/tools, and autoconf location

  1. Run make, still stuck at wget unrecognized option

  1. Searched source code for token “--no-check-certificate”  found it in three files.  Edited these files to remove this token to execute the wget line without this flag

  • Modified:  linphone-android\submodules\libilbc-rfc3951\downloads :
    • Makefile
    • Makefile.in
    • Makefile.am

  1. Ran make, now it stops at this point

checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... no
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin11/4.2.1/ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
/Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/mssilk/configure: line 11415: syntax error near unexpected token `MEDIASTREAMER,'
/Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/mssilk/configure: line 11415: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(MEDIASTREAMER, mediastreamer >= 2.0.0)'
make: *** [/Users/grahambriggs/Source/TPC_LithiumLinphone/linphone-android/submodules/mssilk/Makefile] Error 2

  1. Tried to build without silk:  make -BUILD_SILK=0.  Still stuck at this problem.