Re: [Linphone-developers] Incoming video garbled (H264, MP4V-ES), no vid

From: Jeremy Jongepier
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Incoming video garbled (H264, MP4V-ES), no video with VP8
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:02:13 +0100

On 03/13/2013 11:23 AM, Ghislain Mary wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

I looked at the logs and the network traces you provided. There are indeed
decoding errors. However these errors are not in Linphone but in ffmpeg
that Linphone uses to decode H.264 streams.
Searching for some of the decoding error messages (eg "out of range intra
chroma pred mode" or "mb_type -6 in P slice too large at 4 7") brings a lot
of results from people having the same kind of problem.
For example,
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2009-October/006410.htmlor
https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/285.
So I'm afraid there is not much we can do in Linphone to support this kind
of streams. You may try to use the latest version of ffmpeg that may fix
this issue. Or if you have access to it, you can try to change the
configuration of the encoder of the H.264 stream, but you'll need to find
the encoding option that is causing the issue.

Cheers,
Ghislain

Hello Ghislain,

Thanks! This narrows things down quite a big bit. Do you mean with trying to use the latest version of ffmpeg that we should try to compile linphone against a more recent version of ffmpeg? That's no problem. I can also check the configuration of the encoder (webrtc2sip), that application also uses ffmpeg by the way.

Regards,

Jeremy