Re: [Linphone-developers] Spanish translation

From: Álvaro Serrano
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Spanish translation
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:17:38 +0100

Hello and thanks for the answer!

It appears you were correct and the file format wasn't encoding the characters
as UTF-8 by default. I have used another application to edit it and now I can
build the app using the new file without getting any errors. Attached is the
new file which should work fine. Let me know if there are any issues.

However I still cannot make my app display the new language. I tried your
instructions:

> Compile your .po to .mo separately with this command:
> $ msgfmt FILE.po --output-file=FILE.mo
>
> Look up for a directory where the Spanish .mo file is located at your
> system (after LinPhone is installed) and replace it with yours.

I used that command and my es.po file to create a Spanish gtk20.mo file:

$ sudo msgfmt es.po --output-file=gtk20.mo

I then copied it over to the bundled app, in Contents/Resources/share/locale/es

However when I try to run it the language is still English. I figured the issue
may be occurring only in the bundled app and perhaps the local installation
would work, so I copied gtk20.mo and replaced the one in
opt/local/share/locale/es

When I run the locally installed app I get the following message in terminal:

$ /opt/local/bin/linphone ; exit;
** Message: Found lang es

(process:87978): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

And the displayed language is then English, of course.

One more thing: I have noticed that inside opt/local/share/locale/es there is
another file: gtk20-properties.mo. I have no idea what this file does or how it
is generated.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Álvaro.