[Linphone-developers] Linphone on machines with no soundcards

From: Ed Holland
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Linphone on machines with no soundcards
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:43:17 +0000

Hi,

For an automatic voip testing suite being developed I have been trying
to run linphone on virtual machines with no soundcards emulated. This
was causing some problems when linphone tried to play the ringing tone
through a non existent soundcard.
The solution to this problem seems to be allowing a NULL soundcard for
the ringing cards.
This avoids the problem of the default soundcards that linux provides
any system.

I have included a patch that sets the ringing soundcard driver to NULL
when linphonecsh is invoked with the "use files" options.
I cant see any cases where this will break existing functionality,
although a more experienced developer could hopefully confirm this for
me.

It would be great if someone more experienced could review my changes
and let me know if they are happy with the approach, and let me know if
they can see a better solution to the problem.

Yours

Ed Holland