Re: [Linphone-developers] Failure to establish ZRTP sessions using linph

From: Werner Dittmann
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Failure to establish ZRTP sessions using linphone-iphone built from source
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:07:07 +0100

Am 17.01.2013 22:43, schrieb Eli Burke:
> I have compiled linphone-iphone from source, using "make all
> enable_gpl_third_parties=yes enable_zrtp=yes"  and am now trying to verify
> the functionality of the ZRTP integration. So far, I am not able to establish
> a ZRTP-secured connection (SRTP works fine).
>
> Has anyone successfully used linphone with ZRTP since Linphone 2.0 was
> released? I know ZRTP is not enabled in the App store version, so it would
> have to be tested using a version you've built yourself.
>
> Some additional background: we are using Freeswitch and can successfully
> establish ZRTP calls using the Groundwire app. When I try to call between
> Groundwire and Linphone, I either get an unprotected phone call, or if I set
> Groundwire to require ZRTP, it immediately hangs up. I also tried calling
> between two instances of Linphone, and got the 'insecure call' icon. (vs SRTP
> which showed the 'secure' padlock)
>
> Other notables:
> So far I have only tested in the Simulator, so it is possible ZRTP only works
> on live hardware.
> and
> This is speculation, but to my untrained eye it looks like during an outbound
> call 'zrtp-hash' is not listed in the SDP header, and in an incoming call it
> is not being parsed.

Well, the 'zrtp-hash' is optional according to the ZRTP RFC. However, some
implementations
rely on it to check if the other party supports ZRTP. AFAIK FreeSwitch uses it
that
way.

An application may use 'zrtp-hash' that way, but it is not recomended and also
not
the real use case for 'zrtp-hash'. An application shall use the ZRTP discovery
phase
and send a ZRTP 'Hello' and if the other client replies with 'Hello'/'HelloAck'
then
both support ZRTP. The application may use 'zrtp-hash' to apply additional
checks, but
this is purly optional.

> Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Not really :-) - except to check the ZRTP integration in Linphone, reading the
source.

Werner