[Linphone-developers] be smarter about when to work with NAT or not

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: [Linphone-developers] be smarter about when to work with NAT or not
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:40:45 -0500

Using current linphone on Android in my own private network, it appears
as though Linphone is using my external/Internet IP address when
communicating with the PBX on the same LAN as Linphone.

I could only imagine that this is because Linphone is doing some kind of
STUN operation and determining that it's behind a NAT and assuming the
external (to the NAT) IP address in an attempt to work around typical
NAT problems with SIP.

But it seems to be doing this regardless of whether it's communicating
with a SIP PBX on the same LAN or not.  Clearly if Linphone and the PBX
it's communicating with are on the same LAN it should be trying to deal
with possible SIP/NAT issues since they won't exist -- the two endpoints
are on the same LAN and will not have their addresses NATted.

Cheers,
b.