Re: [Linphone-developers] iOS redraw issues

From: Ramon Poca
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] iOS redraw issues
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:02:40 +0200

FYI, found what it is, and it might be considered a (ipad3/retina caused?) bug.

In mediastreamer2, in iosdisplay.m:168:
166         // schedule rendering
167         displayLink = [self.window.screen
displayLinkWithTarget:self selector
    :@selector(drawView:)];
168         [displayLink setFrameInterval:1];
169         [displayLink addToRunLoop:[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop]
forMode:NSDefaul
    tRunLoopMode];

The frame interval is set to 1, this means to refresh the video view
every screen refresh. If the screen refresh rate is 60Hz, then it's
forcing to keep a 60fps refresh rate.

In the iPad3 this causes either the decoder or the renderer to lag
behind, and causes the stale images.

The solution has been to lower the FrameInterval. To 4 works for us As
the  remote video is encoded at about 10-15fps there is no noticeable
loss or jerkiness.

168         [displayLink setFrameInterval:4];

The right fix might be to detect the display dpi and knowing the
expected fps to set the most acceptable refresh rate. That might need
a bit of research though.

Ramon Poca