[Linphone-developers] VLAN tagging on Linphone SIP messages

From: Marco Faraci
Subject: [Linphone-developers] VLAN tagging on Linphone SIP messages
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:45:54 +0200

Hi all,
I am a developer from Italy and I am experiencing an annoying problem in my project.

Basically I am using Linphone on a Samsung Note with Android 2.3.6 and I am using a wi-fi connection. My Samsung Note is a client of an external access point and is sending SIP messages to PC that is also connected to the same access point through a wi-fi connection.
Unfortunately SIP messages from the Samsung Note to the PC are discarded.
I have sniffed the packets using WireShark on the PC side and I have seen that at the Ethernet level, packets sent by the Linphone of the Samsung Note are tagged as VLAN 802.1Q, instead of being standard IP messages and I assume that this is the reason why they are discarded.

Please also consider that:
- on the very same conditions, if the SIP messages are sent using SipDroid they are not VLAN tagged.
- if the Samsung Note operates as the access point (tethering option). packets sent are not VLAN tagged.
- if the PC has a wired connection to the access point, packets sent by the Samsung Note are not VLAN tagged.

The only situation where packets are VLAN tagged is when both the Samsung Note and the PC have a wi-fi connection to an external access point, but this is actually the scenario I need.

I wonder whether someone has some knowledge on this issue. Why Linphone tags packets as VLAN (SipDroid does not do it)? And it is possible to disable this tagging by configuration?
Also, are there other workarounds?

I will appreciate your help very much.

Best Regards,
Marco