Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 codec

From: Jehan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 codec
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:07:50 +0200

Hi Vadim,

Le 3 mai 2012 à 17:49, Vadim Lebedev a écrit :

Hello folks,

I've just took a glance on your G729 codec ipmlementeatiion and i want to congatulate you -- great job!!!

Thanks.
Howevre i think that you can't license it under GPL because GPL implies patent license which you can't grant....
Many GPL implementations of patented codecs already exist, specially in ffmpeg. We decided to follow this path for bcg729.
So it is possible that in EU where we don't have patents on sofwtare it is OK,  but in US and Canda it can pose problems....

Personally, I don't  fill reasonable to use G729 without paying for patents.

Maybe you should choos BSD or MIT license for this module....

No, this is not something we want to do.  If GPL is not suitable for your need, you can still contact Belledonne Communications to get an alternate license.
Thanks
Vadim

Best regards

Jehan