Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone causing internet router to STUCK

From: Petr Pisar
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone causing internet router to STUCK
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:38:27 +0100

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 05:07:06PM +0200, James Bin wrote:
> if linphone is aiming to be a commercial grade solution for
> companies wishing to deploy a sip software (under license),
> then there should be a better solution then disabling the ALG feature in
> every router in the world...
> I am sure that when the ALG was designed it was not designed for the
> purpose of disabling it worldwide.

If router is aiming to be commercial grade solution for companies wishing to
deploy a IP routers, then there should be better solution than disallowing SIP
clients on every machines in the world.

Now seriously. If an application layer gateway gets stucked just because of
unexpected application payload which is perfectly valid per given application
protocol, then this is clearly bug in the gateway. End even if the payload
would be in violation with the protocol, the gateway should not stuck.
Otherwise this is called denial-of-service vulnerability and everybody in this
area could tell you who's guilty and which product should get fixed.

I understand buying some expensive proprietary hardware and then finding bugs
there that vendor does not want to fix is really disappointing, but well this
is your deal and at least you know now which vendor you will not buy from next
time.

-- Petr