[Linphone-developers] Building for Windows using MinGW

From: Steve Strobel
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Building for Windows using MinGW
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:42:35 -0600

When the Linphone web page says that "installing the required
mingw/msys environment plus the linphone dependencies is not easy"
[1], it isn't  kidding.  My shallow knowledge of autotools didn't
help, but many of the problems I ran into could have been avoided if
the README.mingw file specified exact versions and download locations
of everything.  Just using the "latest version" of things caused me
trouble, such as with the current version of ActiveState perl not
being compatible with aclocal [2].  I still don't understand why the
perl that installs with MinGW isn't usable.  There were several other
things that weren't where they apparently used to be (MinGW now
automatically installs MSYS) and it wasn't always obvious what to do
about it (figuring out what to download to get GTK, etc).  I still
don't think my installation is completely right, but I did finally
succeed in building the speex, oRTP and mediastreamer DLLs that I
needed (I didn't need Linphone itself).  If anyone wants a copy of the
notes I took along the way, just drop me a direct email.  If I ever
get the rest of the process worked out, I will try to submit a patch
for README.mingw.

Steve#1783
[1] - http://www.linphone.org/eng/documentation/guide/compiling.html
[2] - "aclocal --print-ac-dir" caused the message, "Perl lib version
(5.14.2) doesn't match executable '/mingw/bin/aclocal-1.11' version
(v5.8.8) at /c/Perl/lib//Config.pm line 60."

--
Steve Strobel
Link Communications, Inc.