[Linphone-developers] Audio Quality unusable when Android screen is turn

From: Dustin Breese
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Audio Quality unusable when Android screen is turned off
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:55:13 -0600

I am doing some testing with latest head revision for Android and have noticed that this version, as well as older versions of the code experience the same issue -- when the screen is turned off, incoming audio degrades to unusable quality (very delayed and extremely choppy). The call stays connected and when screen is turned back on via power button, audio quality returns to acceptable level.

I tried forcing a FULL and PARTIAL power wakelock as well as a Wifi wakelock as a test, but this seems to have no effect. I realize the following code is bad as I don't even bother release()'ing the locks for this hack/test in LinphoneCoreImpl.java, but here is what I tried:

  private static WifiLock mWifiWakeLock;
  private static WakeLock mPowerWakeLock;

public synchronized LinphoneCall inviteAddressWithParams(LinphoneAddress to, LinphoneCallParams params)
      throws LinphoneCoreException {
    long ptrDestination = ((LinphoneAddressImpl) to).nativePtr;
    long ptrParams = ((LinphoneCallParamsImpl) params).nativePtr;

    // HACK - TESTING
    Context c = LinphoneManager.getInstance().getContext();
PowerManager pm = (PowerManager) c.getSystemService(Context.POWER_SERVICE); mPowerWakeLock = pm.newWakeLock(PowerManager.PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK, "power-hack-lock");
    mPowerWakeLock.acquire();
    Log.d("HACKING", "*** POWER WAKE LOCK ACQUIRED");

WifiManager wifimanager = (WifiManager) c.getSystemService(Context.WIFI_SERVICE);
    mWifiWakeLock = wifimanager.createWifiLock("wifi-hack-lock");
    mWifiWakeLock.acquire();
    Log.d("HACKING", "*** WIFI LOCK ACQUIRED!");
    // HACK -- TESTING

LinphoneCall call = (LinphoneCall) inviteAddressWithParams(nativePtr, ptrDestination, ptrParams);
    if (call != null) {
      return call;
    } else {
throw new LinphoneCoreException("Unable to invite with params " + to.asString());
    }
  }

I see my debug msgs in the logs when running, but the behavior is the same -- as soon as the screen is flipped off, audio quality is unusuable. However; when the screen is suddenly switched back on, the quality returns to a normal state.

Any pointers here? I'll be glad to submit a bug fix if I can get this working.

Regards,
Dustin