Re: [Linphone-developers] Contributing to linphone

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Contributing to linphone
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 19:08:18 -0300

On Wed, Aug  3, 2011 at 23:50 (+0200), Valentin Beraudo wrote:

> Hello

> I'm interested in Linphone and have some time this month so I'm
> willing to contribute.
> I had thought of maybe improving the Gtk interface.

> Do you have an idea of features to add (to the gui or elsewhere) ?

Valentin,

In the past I have added the ability to mute/unmute the audio by
"remote control", which I found useful in one of my applications of
Linphone.

I did this in an analogous way to which the current Linphone can
receive a command to call a given sip: or h323: address (that is, a
new Linphone instance looks for another running instance and, if it
finds one, sends it a command to dial a "number").

See gtk/main.c, starting here (this is 3.4.2 code)

        if (linphone_core_wake_up_possible_already_running_instance(
                config_file, addr_to_call) == 0){
                g_message("addr_to_call=%s",addr_to_call);
                g_warning("Another running instance of linphone has been
detected. It has been woken-up.");
                g_warning("This instance is going to exit now.");
                gdk_threads_leave();
                return 0;
        }

My implementation used my own non-standard addition to the sip protocol
(yeah, "sip protocol" is redundant), and so the change was not
included by the powers that be.

However, if you can find a politically correct way of doing this via
SIP (or some other way of programmatically muting/unmuting the audio
of a Linphone running on your local computer), and are interested in
this project, I would be happy to collaborate with you (or just send
you my changes to Linphone 3.3 which implemented this, if you prefer).

Cheers.
                                Jim