[Linphone-developers] iPhone setIdleTimerDisabled and iterate timer

From: Mark Krenek
Subject: [Linphone-developers] iPhone setIdleTimerDisabled and iterate timer
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:37:08 -0500

I've been reviewing the linphone iPhone code to see about using it. I've barely
scratched the surface but I was wondering about a couple of things that might
affect battery life.

(1) In startLibLinphone, a timer is set up to fire every 1/10 second. The timer
calls linphone_core_iterate. I can't tell how expensive all the code in
linphone_core_iterate is, but I was wondering if there was some other way to
achieve the desired results without this timer going off all the time. It seems
to me that a good iPhone app should be event driven and not polling all the
time.

(2) The PhoneViewController is calling setIdleTimerDisabled which effectively
keeps the screen from dimming and consequently eats up the battery. Does any
one know why this is being done?