Re: [Linphone-developers] ZRTP support for oRTP - Linphone

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] ZRTP support for oRTP - Linphone
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:53:26 +0100

Me! Most of the time it isn't needed, but occasionally secure file transfer
support would be _very_ useful. I don't recall ever wishing I had video
support though.

I suppose it depends on whether you see linphone as a pure VoIP client, or a
more general SIP client with instant messaging and presence support. We
already have support for presence and text instant messages. File transfer is
part of that family of extensions, but isn't currently supported. Whatever
features we have I would like a secured option to be available.

The only argument I can think of against including file transfer support is
bloat, but you can argue the same about video support, especially on devices
that can't do video. We get around that by making it a compile time option -
if you don't need it you don't have to have it.