Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone.org SIP service - technical details

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone.org SIP service - technical details
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:44:10 +0100

Hi Kristian,

Indeed I was pretty sure that somebody will ask this question, though it
finally came quicker than I thought :-)

The answer is "why not ?"

Indeed the SER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS has a very impressive feature list,
however quite a few media-procesing related features. But the
web/database ecosystem around it is very complete.

SER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS is the only SIP open-source proxy product, I think
it is always good to have a the choice, like ekiga and linphone for
example.

Before going further to the debate, I have one question for you: did you
try already personaly to install and setup a SER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS by
yourself to setup a SIP network on the public internet ? if yes what
were your impressions ?

Actually, some answers to this question we asked to several people
around us lead us to the conclusion that there could be a strong need
for another SIP proxy, based on different architures and concepts.

SER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS is mostly script oriented (even the SIP routing
and message processing logic is a script). For flexisip we thought that
the best language for doing SIP processing is to use a real language,
like C++, with perhaps java binding in the future. A real programming
language provides strong syntax and type checking, thus less errors.
One idea behind flexisip is: no scripts, just C++ code and interfaces,
and extend flexsip with new features by writing a flexisip C++ module.

Best regards,

Simon