[Linphone-developers] Bug? RTP/H263+ P-bit

From: nicolas.canceill
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Bug? RTP/H263+ P-bit
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:16:47 +0100 (CET)

Hello every one,

Using Linphone, I have noticed a strange behavior from the H.263+ (1998)
packetization mode over RTP.

I am not an expert: both the ITU-T H.263 recommendation and the RFC4629 (RTP
format) are a little complex
for me. However, I am pretty sure of one thing:

In a H.263/RTP packet, if the P-bit of the H.263 header is 1, then the H.263
payload must start with either a
Picture Start Code, a Group-Of-Blocks Start Code, a Slice Start Code, an End Of
Sequence, or an End Of
SubBitStream; and from this start code must be removed the first two 0 (zero)
bytes.

My problem is: while using H.263+, Linphone seems to break this rule, and sends
packets with a P-bit value of
1 but with a payload starting with a 0 (zero) byte, which is none of the
expected start codes.

For example, in a packet starting at a picture start code: 04 00 as a header,
and a payload starting with 80, 81,
82, or 83 (in hexadecimal).
But I keep finding 00 04 headers followed by 00: is this a bug? otherwise, how
is it compliant with the
specification?

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,