[Linphone-developers] Inconsistency with SIP RFC related to multiple ser

From: Simon Brenner
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Inconsistency with SIP RFC related to multiple servers, same user names and same realms?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:56:56 +0200

Hi,

I propably detected some inconsistency of Linphone's behaviour and the SIP RFC
3261.

I want to be able to have several user accounts registered with different
servers in Linphone with
the same user names (authentication names). The servers possibly have the same
realms.
Of course, the passwords of the users are different from each other.

In such a scenario, Linphone writes only one auth_info_x block into the config
file with the data
which were the last to enter when starting Linphone.

The main problem is that Linphone compares the user names and the realms when
searching for a
matching authentication information. But this isn't a unique combination, as my
setting above shows.

The SIP RFC tells that "UAs SHOULD cache the credentials for a given value of
the To header field
and 'realm' and attempt to re-use these values on the next request for that
destination.".
The "To header field" obviously contains everything that is needed for a fully
qualified comparison
(name, server ip) together with the server realm.

What do you say to that?

Regards,
-Simon.