Re: [Linphone-developers] Voice quality on 3G and EDGE

From: Matt Gilg
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Voice quality on 3G and EDGE
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:37:42 -0600

Hi Simon, thanks for the info.

I suppose my emphasis on the terms was less than ideal, perhaps plain wrong.  The entire contents of the packets -- including the ethernet, udp, and rtp headers (seq, timestamp, etc) -- were copied.  So, along with a similar timestamp, we ended up with the same sequence numbers. (an entirely identical packet in fact)

oRTP didn't drop the duplicates like I expected.

-Matt

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Simon Morlat <address@hidden> wrote:
Le mercredi 08 septembre 2010 à 08:43 -0600, Matt Gilg a écrit :
> Has anyone tested the auto-elimination of duplicates?
>

> I've recently done a test that wraps and forwards RTP packets (vpn
> style) as well as sent direct, and I found that the duplicate
> detection wasn't working.  Care was taken to be sure that identical
> packets with the same timestamp showed up on the same session on the
> receiving end.
"same timestamp": yes there is no reason to discard packets that have
same timestamp. This is very common with video packets to have identical
timestamps for packets belonging to the same frame.
Only sequence number matters to know whether a packet is a duplicate.

Obviously if oRTP doesn't drop packets with similar sequence number that
is a bug.

Simon