Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2

From: kl
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 8/2/10, Chris Vine <address@hidden> wrote:

> Frankly, this discussion of what is or is not a derived
> work for the
> purposes of the GPL is a waste of time, and for every 3
> posters you
> will probably get 4 views. If you run a business where
> keeping code
> closed source is important, you need to to consult a
> lawyer.

That's a very common stand which non-lawyers will adopt. But believe me, even
if you ask a typical lawyer, you will not get an answer. I do not think a
typical lawyer will understand software licensing enough to give a good answer.
You need to ask these questions to a highly expensive lawyer who specializes in
these to get a satisfactory answer. From a typical lawyer, all that you get
from him is more questions, more possibilities, more concerns and more
uncertainties.

I am not saying that we are able to conclude without doubt the interpretation
of law here. Maybe let's just say this discussion is more of a survey of the
opinions of people here in this mailing list.