Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 00:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 7/31/10, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Mike Frysinger <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2
> To: "kl" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 10:53 PM
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 23:17, kl
> wrote:
> > But a better example should be mplayer. Mplayer, if I
> am not mistaken is GNU.
>
> mplayer is licensed under the GPL-2, but it isnt a GNU
> project.
>
> > Then there are various plugins or codecs which are
> possible with it without sources. And in fact most of the
> time, they are not shipped together. But people go somewhere
> and download it. It binds with mplayer and works perfectly
> for the users.
> >
> > The same thing is possible with g729 codec plugin for
> linphone. Now the plugin provider is going to claim that
> it's the customer who is downloading it. The provider did
> not ship/distribute the whole thing together !!! So is this
> the "smarter" way you are talking about ?

[snip

> -mike

Quotes are not necessary, i.e. it _is_ smarter.

Here is what I see in my 'ffmpeg' 'configure' screen output:

"
address@hidden:~/junk> tail -2
/mnt/sdb8/sergei/AFSWD_debug/build/ffmpeg-0.6/configure.log
License: nonfree and unredistributable
Creating config.mak and config.h...
".

This is because I chose to use non-free codecs with it, even though it
itself is LGPL.

So, the "License: nonfree and unredistributable" note is absolutely correct,
and I am _not_ distributing built by myself 'ffmpeg'.

I did absolutely no hacking of 'ffmpeg' - the ability to choose non-free
codecs comes with 'configure' to be found in the tarball, the built-in
'configure' help message says:

"
     22   --enable-nonfree         allow use of nonfree code, the resulting libs
     23                            and binaries will be unredistributable [no]
".

Regards,
  Sergei.