Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

It can be done smarter. I.e. an application depending on G729 is
distributed without it, so in the act of distribution GPL is not violated.

Then, when needed, "in customer hands" the application downloads and
installs the G729 stuff, but since it happens on customer premises, there
is no distribution. Again, GPL is not violated.

For example, people using GNU Octave sometimes want to use GotoBLAS as
BLAS, and GotoBLAS has an incompatible with GPL (GNU Octave is GPL)
license. So people just themselves build both GNU Octave and GotoBLAS and
don't distribute the resulting binary.

Regards,
  Sergei.