[Linphone-developers] linphone unable to use bluetooth headset

From: Alec Kloss
Subject: [Linphone-developers] linphone unable to use bluetooth headset
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:32:20 -0500

As described elsewhere, I've added

alsadev=pcm.bluetooth

to my .linphonerc.  After selecting the bluetooth option in the
ring device and pressing play, the play button appears to freeze in
the down position and no sound is heard on my bluetooth headset.

The headset otherwise seems to work correctly (mpd, skype, arecord,
aplay all interact with the headset as one would expect).

I've tried linphone 3.1.1 and 3.2.1 installed on Gentoo with kernel
2.6.31-gentoo-r6.

When trying to play a the ring, the debug log starts spewing this:

warning: alsa_set_params: Error setting channels.
warning: alsa_open_w: Error setting params (for 0 micros)
warning: alsa_set_params: Error setting channels.
warning: alsa_open_w: Error setting params (for 209987 micros)
warning: alsa_set_params: Error setting channels.
warning: alsa_open_w: Error setting params (for 419973 micros)
warning: alsa_set_params: Error setting channels.
warning: alsa_open_w: Error setting params (for 629960 micros)
warning: alsa_set_params: Error setting channels.
warning: alsa_open_w: Error setting params (for 839946 micros)

which repeats seemingly forever.

This is pretty clearly related to linphone or mediastreamer setting
incorrect channel counts for a mono bluetooth headset.  I don't see
any way to configure the channels or other audio attributes in
linphone.  I can confirm that the headset won't emulate two
channels:

dr.venture% arecord -D pcm.bluetooth -c 2 -f S16_LE test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Stereo
arecord: set_params:984: Channels count non available
dr.venture%

Recording a single channel works fine:

dr.venture% arecord -D pcm.bluetooth -c 1 -f S16_LE test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
dr.venture% !aplay

Thoughts?

--