[Linphone-developers] ortp: processing incoming stream

From: Petr Kuba
Subject: [Linphone-developers] ortp: processing incoming stream
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:43:18 +0100

Hello,

I'm experiencing the following problem:

Since the timer we use for calling rtp_session_recvm_with_ts() is not 100% precise (mainly in windows) it happens quite often that the time between two calls of rtp_session_recvm_with_ts() is (a little bit) longer that 20ms. Then it is quite often that there are already two packets older than current timestamp in the ortp queue.

However, rtp_session_recvm_with_ts() calls rtp_getq() which returns only the last packet and discards all older packets. I believe that this is not good idea when we are only few ms late.

In my case it would be better to call rtp_getq_permissive() instead of rtp_getq() not to miss any packets.

What do you think? Do I miss any important idea of this algorithm? What is the reason for discarding a packet that we wouldn't discard e.g. just 1ms earlier?

Thanks,
Petr

--
   Petr Kuba, Project Manager