Re: [Linphone-developers] gsm support

From: Conrad Beckert
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] gsm support
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:57:06 +0200

Hi Simon,

> I asked debian maintainers to include gsm in their next package, I'll see
> their answer.
That's good news. Let's hope that they'll do it (so Ubuntu 10.4 would have it)

> I've also the project of creating a distro-independant binary tarball of
> linphone, such as firefox guys do for their browser. It will consume more
> disk
> space but at least will provide a solution for people who don't want to go
> through the recompilation nightmare...
Definitely. I roll my Ubuntu installation twice a year on more than one machine
and use Linphone in production for many years. As Ubuntu Jaunty came with a 2xx
version which doesn't like my Philips Webcams and Karmic have this GSM issue  -
it is very good news too. It might improve Linphone's market share in a big
way.

A couple of years ago I made a portable Windows version, preconfigured - so
that people can call me with no further parameter entry.

A statically linked version would make that it possible on linux...

Thank you
Conrad