Re: [Linphone-developers] odd behaviours with linphone 3.1.2

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] odd behaviours with linphone 3.1.2
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 22:14:15 +0200

Hi Jim,

Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 20:45:03, Jim Diamond a écrit :
> If anyone can shed some light on these issues, I would appreciate it.
>
> (0) Initially I could not convince Linphone to properly connect with
> another connection which is behind a Linksys WRT54G router, even
> though that system's router is set (with port triggering) to open
> ports 5060 to 9079.  (The trigger is based on another program I had
> running at the time, and, as far as I can tell, it seems to open all
> the requested ports.)  Linphone would, however, connect to a linphone
> on a system which is directly connected to the internet.
>
> I tried connecting both with "Behind NAT / Firewall" (and giving the
> external IP address) and "Behind NAT / Fireway (use STUN to resolve)".
> I tried connecting from both ends.
>
> In the cases where it would not connect properly, it knew the call was
> connected, but I could not receive video or audio.
>
> But when I configured the local router for port triggering, things
> started to work.  Shouldn't STUN be able to deal with punching holes
> through the firewall/router?
STUN can only make good job if one of the firewalls is full-cone, ie if a
packet opens an outgoing connection to X, then Y can send back a packet
through the opened hole. For security reasons, many firewals are symmetric,
meaning that the packet coming from Y will be discarded. I don't know what
port triggering means, but perhaps it activated some intelligent
functionnality of your router so that it masquerade the ports indicated in the
outgoing SDP messages. Which would do a SIP proxy.

I discourage the use of SIP for direct calls between machines being behind a
firewall (machines being on different networks).
The router attempt  to do things to make it work, the UA with STUN try to do
also things to make it work, but the result of the two is that in most case it
does not work.
The only good solution is (to me):
1- configure your firewall to be as dumb as possible (such as linux basic
iptables configuration would do)
2- be helped by a SIP proxy running on the public internet. It will make sure
all SIP messages are transfered correctly, and will possibly make RTP relaying
for audio video. You have a free to use proxy running at
http://sip.antisip.com

> (1) Once I got things running, Linphone kept dropping the connection
> today, it rarely stayed connected more than 1 minute.  I didn't notice
> any other problems with anything else I was doing at the time, but
> perhaps nothing else was as sensitive to network conditions.  I am
> wildly speculating that very short momentary packet losses causes
> Linphone to disconnect.  Is that speculation correct?
>
> If my speculation is correct, is there some way to tell Linphone to be
> a bit more patient, should the packets not get through for some
> relatively small time?
Normally: linphone terminates the call if it does not receive any packet for
more than 30 seconds.

> (2) In some situation(s) which I can't pin down, linphone-3 gets
> confused about what it should be showing the video window.  Earlier
> today I was trying to use linphone and it somehow got confused about
> what it is doing.  The other end disconnected from the internet hours
> ago, but at my end
> - the control window has a button saying "start call", not :terminate
>   call", but
> - the video window has the small "picture-in-picture" window as well as
>   the larger webcam image
>   - the picture-in-picture image is showing my webcam image about 95% of
>     the time, but keeps flicking to and from the "No webcam" picture
>   - the main picture shows a frame from the video hours ago about 95%
>     of the time, and the rest of the time it quickly flashes up
>     another image, which I believe is another frame from the video call.

I did have this bug some time ago. I could not explain it nor reproduce it.
It's like if the call was terminated, but the audio and video outgoing streams
continue working.
If you have a use-case where it produces easily, then please send me a log
(linphone-3 --verbose &>log.txt). I'll be interested in fixing it of course.

Thanks,