[Linphone-developers] Question about oRTP sequence numbering

From: Henning Christiansen
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Question about oRTP sequence numbering
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:06:45 +0100

Hello all,

I see a strange behaviour when sending RTP packets via oRTP.

Whnn regularly sending 160 byte packets using

  rtp_session_send_with_ts(...)

I see that the sequence numbers are incremented as expected.

When during this regular cycle I send one DTMF request (according to RFC2833) using

  rtp_session_send_dtmf,

I see that the sequence number of the first RTP packet is incremented by 2 (instead of 1). After this, the sequence number of the next "standard" RTP packets sent after calling rtp_session_send_with_ts resume with the last sequence number of the DTMF related packets.

Example:

5 standard voice packets followed by one DTMF digit followed by another 5 voice packets:

Voice:   Seq=0
         Seq=1
         Seq=2
         Seq=3
         Seq=4

DTMF:    Seq=6      (I would expect Seq=5 here)
         Seq=7
         Seq=8
         Seq=8
         Seq=8

Voice:   Seq=8      (I would expect Seq=9 here)
         Seq=9
         Seq=10
         Seq=11
         Seq=12