Re: [Linphone-developers] Disable jittercompensation

From: Tomas Lundqvist
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Disable jittercompensation
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:07:31 +0100

Hi all,

I thought this over a little more and concluded that if I don't want oRTP to
compensate for jitter or reordering of packets and not want any scheduling for
the send or receiving I have discarded many of the benefits of oRTP and I don't
really need it. What is left is to create RTP packets and to interpret RTP on
the receiving side and this is not hard to do in the simple case I'm working on
(VoIP on LAN) in my thesis work. There is no reordering and the jitter is
handled using a circular buffer. I also prefer to have control over the UDP
socket myself.

oRTP is more for you guys who want to connect the synchronous soundcard play
out and recording directly to the RTP stack so you don't have to care about
jitter, reordering and packet loss (?).

I welcome one of the oRTP developers to explain what settings to use and how to
receive packets in the scenario I describe (when oRTP ia to be used as "just"
an RTP stack and not do any "audio processing") to prove me wrong.

Be well.

Tomas