[Linphone-developers] Disable jittercompensation

From: Tomas Lundqvist
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Disable jittercompensation
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:30:48 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to use oRTP without scheduling and jitterbuffer, i.e. I'd like
packets to be sent when I call a send function and I'd like to receive packets
as they arrive from the network.

The first thing is easily accomplished by using
rtp_session_set_scheduling_mode(NO), rtp_session_set_blocking_mode(NO) and
rtp_session_send_with_ts(). As far as I can understand the packets will be sent
immediately when the send function is called with these settings.

But this makes it impossible to have rtp_session_recv_with_ts() block and
return when a packet arrives. The only way to accomplish this is to enable
blocking, but then the send function will block as well and scheduling will be
enabled implicitly.

I don't want oRTP to schedule sending nor receiving and not buffer packets
within the stack. My current approach is to disable jitter compensation by
calling rtp_session_enable_jitter_buffer(NO),
rtp_session_enable_adaptive_jitter_compensation(NO) and to poll with
rtp_session_recvm_with_ts() using the same approach as in Linphone. However, it
seems to me like there is some jitter compensation or buffering being done in
this case as well since if I poll with 10ms intervals I get a packet every
second time (timestamp is increased by 160) although I can see in wireshark
that there is sometimes 80ms between packets.

I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me if I am on the right track and
how I can receive RTP packets as they arrive from the network and still have
packets being sent at the rate I want.

And yes, I will publish the code once my application is done.

Thank you!
Tomas

--
TOMAS LUNDQVIST