Re: [Linphone-developers] Using oRTP to send supplemental data besides t

From: Vadim Lebedev
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Using oRTP to send supplemental data besides the audio
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:22:08 +0100

You'll have problems with this approach.
It will be extremely difficult to avoid audio quality degradation.

Thanks
Vadim

Le 19 déc. 08 à 01:01, Steve Strobel a écrit :

If I used just the one RTP session and sent some packets with the G. 711u payload type
and other packets as a different (maybe non-audio)  type...

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. I could provide a "compatibility mode" for use with other RTP devices. But on our devices, it might be fairly easy to implement and should require no changes to oRTP.

When sending data, I would first have to call rtp_session_set_send_payload_type(), then restore it before sending audio again.

On the receiving end, the docs on rtp_session_set_send_payload_type() say, "For payload type in incoming packets, the application can be informed by registering for the "payload_type_changed" signal, so that it can make the necessary changes on the downstream decoder that deals with the payload of the packets." My "downstream decoder" could use that signal to switch whether the received data was handled as audio or data, effectively demultiplexing it. Does anyone see a problem with that method?

Thanks for any input,
Steve

---
Steve Strobel