Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone and JACK

From: Nicolai Lissner
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone and JACK
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 20:18:03 +0100

Hi,
I don't agree. Users who actually use jackd still need support for
it, unless they want to kill jackd before using linphone. And
they don't use jackd just for mixing sound, the reason for jackd
is low latency sound processing and networking sound applications
(i.e. using the output of one application as input for another)
So jackd is not replaceable with dmix.

However, I found a solution - therefore I agree, we don't need
jack-support in linphone. The solution is to install pulseaudio
and make it output to jackd. So my linphone now uses alsa, alsa
is configured to use pulseaudio instead of the hardware, pulse
uses jackd as output (and input) and jackd talks to my soundcard
using alsa again. Although this sounds complicated, it isn't
really complicated to setup and it works as a charme with
linphone (and actually any other alsa-application I tested),
making it possible to do all the nifty things jack provides to us
even with linphone.

I'm a very happy linphone user now :D

Thank you!
Nicolai