[Linphone-developers] problem with two separate sound device

From: Faraz Vahabzadeh
Subject: [Linphone-developers] problem with two separate sound device
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:44:46 -0700 (PDT)

I am having this weird problem, and I'd appreciate your help and input to this
issue, I will try to explain it all but please let me know if I have left
anything unclear. here it goes:

I am working on a project that involves using a Set-Top-Box as a voip client,
this STB is running Linux on SH4 processor. I have already ported Linphone to
this platform. The problem is that this box uses two different device files for
capturing sound (/dev/webcamdsp) and playback (/dev/dsp).

I specified those two in the .linphonerc file so basically those look like this
in the .linphonerc:

playback_dev_id=OSS: /dev/dsp
ringer_dev_id=OSS: /dev/dsp
capture_dev_id=OSS: /dev/webcamdsp

This set up works just fine if I register to a proxy. However if I try to
connect to another linphone client (a PC based linphone client) this set up
doesn't generate any sound, I can still see the RTP packets going between two
machines (using a packet sniffer), but there is no sound played or captured.
why it works fine when I register to a proxy but not using a direct call?
I should also add that the PC based linphone works fine with another PC based
linphone, so that rules out the problem on the PC side.

Now, if I change the setting to :

playback_dev_id=OSS: /dev/dsp
ringer_dev_id=OSS: /dev/dsp
capture_dev_id=OSS: /dev/dsp

Then the Set-Top-Box can receive sound and play it but cannot capture and send
back sound.

BTW, I am using the latest linphone version which is 2.1.1 and all the
Dependant libs are outdated to their latest versions.

Any idea?

I'd really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
--Faraz

Thanks