[Linphone-developers] Choosing a specific device.

From: Emmanuel Frecon
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Choosing a specific device.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:18:36 +0200

Hello Simon (and others),

I have been looking in the code of the 1.7.1 version for a way to pick up a specific video device to use for input. This started when Feisty started to support my TV card and insisted on making this /dev/video0. Nowadays, my webcam i /dev/video1 and I would like to point linphone at this device for input.

It seems that the video section of the configure file can have a device property. However, to what I could see this value is carried along all the way into mediastreamer, but mediastreamer does not handle it properly. video_stream_start() takes a device parameter, but this parameter is never sent further to the filter when doing the start. The MS_V4L_START filter function is a function that takes no argument. I wonder if that would be the place to handle the device to choose or not. I saw that the linux v4l implementation tries to optimise the opening/closing of video devices, trying to avoid reopening devices that are already opened, and so on. So it should not be that hard to modify the code. The problem is that I do no nothing about the Windows implementation, and that I suppose that both implementations would need to be modified in concert to make this change usefull. What do you say?

/Emmanuel