[Linphone-developers] OSS emulation in ARM devices

From: Ciaccia
Subject: [Linphone-developers] OSS emulation in ARM devices
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I am trying to compile/use linphone to an ARM board,
and I noticed an annoying "feature" ("bug"?) that I
would like to share with you guys...

My ARM board runs the latest 2.6 kernel, with the ALSA
support and OSS emulation enabled. The sound system is
supposed to work correctly, since the alsa utils work
perfectly. Also OSS (through the ALSA emulation layer)
works, since utilities such as play work with no
problems at all.

Anyway, when I cross compile linphone for my ARM board
without alsa support, the application does not work as
expected, and strange noises are heard on the speaker.
This is strange, since my x86 notebook can run the OSS
version of linphone (through the ALSA emulation layer)
with no problem at all.

I read in the faq that ARM boards should use ALSA,
could you explain to me why? What changes between an
ARM or an x86 system?

Thanks a lot
Best regards
Andrea

      Don't be flakey.  Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to
friends.    http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail