Re: [Linphone-developers] Alternate sdp negotiation support

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Alternate sdp negotiation support
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:10:48 +0100

Hi,

First of all thanks for your patch.
I've reviewed it, but despite it is well written I will not merge it to the
cvs because of the following reason:
Actually linphone doesn't use the sdp negociator embedded in eXosip. It uses
its own one, defined in sdphandler.c.
Your patch:
/* sends a 200 OK, sdp offer will be added */
+               snprintf(local_sdp_port, sizeof(local_sdp_port), "%d",
lp_config_get_int(lc->config,"rtp","audio_rtp_port",7078));
+               eXosip_lock();
+               eXosip_answer_call(lc->call->did,200,local_sdp_port);
+               eXosip_unlock();

actually bypass linphone's sdp negociator in favour of the exosip one.
Unfortunately the exosip sdp negociator has no knowledge of linphone's audio
codec (except mulaw/alaw/gsm(?), doesn't know if there are usable with
respect of the bandwidth limitation and user requests. And it doesn't know
video codec at all.
In a few words the eXosip negociator does not have the features of linphone's
sdp negociator.
I hope you understand all those reasons.
In eXosip2 the sdp negociator has been removed completely by its author
because it realized it was too limited. I plan to switch to eXosip2 as soon
as possible. The good news is that I'll implement the 200ok/ack sdp scheme
with eXosip2, as well as re-invite. It will be much easier with eXosip2 than
with exosip1.

Your patch will be kept in the mailing list for people using 1.3.6 with
limited audio features, thank you anyway for posting it, for sure it will
benefit to someone.

Simon