[Linphone-developers] mediastreamer and ALSA DMIX

From: Lilith Verlorenes
Subject: [Linphone-developers] mediastreamer and ALSA DMIX
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:14:39 +1300

i'm trying to get linphone working using an ALSA dmix port.

but i'm getting garbled sound, even just the ring test in the configuration is
coming out all broken up.

there is no problem with my audio setup, i've been using kphone on the same
ALSA dmix port and it works ok, so i'm pretty sure there isn't an issue with
my setup.

dmix ports in alsa tend to return odd period sizes to
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near , like 170* where 256 is requested. i
suspect linphone/mediastreamer isn't handling this case quite properly.

i'm still working my way through mediastreamer trying to understand the design
of it.  any ideas about where to start looking for possible causes of this
issue?

thanks,
lilith

* by the way 170 is a reasonable value and comes from  (1024period
size*8000hz/48000hz)

** also, what is the reason for the existence of mediastreamer2?  what parts
of the system use this vs mediastreamer (1)?