Re: [Linphone-developers] [sr #105016] Wish: video call support

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] [sr #105016] Wish: video call support
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:28:16 +0100

Hi,

There is non finished code for mpeg4 support. Streaming video over RTP is
complex. There are standarts to encapsulate the bitstream before putting it
into RTP packets.
For H263 this is RFC2190 (deprecated)
For H263-1998 and H263-2000 this is RFC2429
For mpeg4 (MP4V) this is another one I did not look at yet.

H263+ is a different name for H263-1998

H263-1998 provides a quality similar to mpg4 (the techniques are very
similar).

Instead of extending linphone with patented codecs such as MPEG4 or H264 I
would prefer linphone to use the free video codec from vorbis. But I did not
look at it yet.

Simon