Re: [Linphone-developers] Receiving RTP packets when none are being sent

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Receiving RTP packets when none are being sent to me????
Date: 08 Jul 2002 17:08:49 +0200

Hi,

> I get "err" returned as 160 ALL the time. Even when the connection to
> the other end is severed, this continues to loop and tell me it has
> received 160 bytes. Why is this happening?? Surely it should drop to 0
> at that stage.
 err
=rtp_session_send_with_ts(rtpsession,rtpdata,codinfo->dt_size,ts);/*used
to send data over RTP*/

Here it always returns 160 because it is always possible to send a UDP
packet.
When receiving, it returns 0 when the rtp session has not started. Then
it starts, it returns 160, but when the remote sender stops, oRTP cannot
guess if the session has ended or not, so that's why it returns 160
bytes of silence.
This is only valid for byte based codecs like G711, for packet based
codecs (GSM) it should return 0.
The loop you have as to be executed in blocking mode, else it will loop
with 100% CPU. In blocking mode, the _recv() function will wait until
the timestamp you asked for is ready to be given (because it matches the
current time). If no packet were received with this timestamp, then
silence is returned.

Simon