Re: Frescobaldi?

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:25:12 +0200

Hi Kieren,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 3:12 PM Kieren MacMillan <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> wrote:

1. Any thoughts about what the optimal package is?

I use TexStudio for all my TeX work, and it's excellent. Here: https://texstudio.sourceforge.net
(shoutout to extremely old-skool sourceforge hosting)

2. Is there any benefit/interest in trying to duplicate the most important/useful functionality of Frescobaldi (e.g. two-way point-and-click navigation) into a LaTeX-based IDE?
TexStudio let's you right-click the pdf output and select "go to source", so presumably the functionality is there. The only issue is that the lilypond code isn't interpreted by LaTeX directly, but called through lyluatex.

I worked with Urs a few years back to produce an architecture for editing multi-volume Lily file trees, with excellent output, all called through LaTeX. I'm not sure if the project is still hosted anywhere (it was residing on Urs' private github/gitlab server), but it worked well. I don't use any tools in frescobaldi besides the point-and-click functionality that wouldn't already be available in any modern TeX IDE.

But it seems my issues with frescobaldi are due to some problems with my qtwebengine installation, so I might be able to get them resolved relatively easily. Updating it to use PyQt6 would be an important long-term sustainability goal, but at least it's not a complete blocker for me (for now).