Re: LilyPond 2.25.14

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.25.14
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 20:09:07 +0100

On Sat, 2024-03-23 at 11:39 -0700, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> Hi Jonas;
>
>   I've tried engraving a couple of randomly chosen previous engravings
> (using LP 2.24.x) using the new LP 2.25.14 version on my Mac (Apple
> Silicon).
>
>   Since none of my engravings are large, most of them are one to two
> pages in length, I thought there would be no noticable decrease in
> engraving time, but I was wrong!  It IS noticably faster for even
> small files :-)
>
>   One thing I noticed is what one of my engravings had significant
> change in apperance in the second and third page, as if I had inserted
> a forced page break in two or three places.  There were no conversion
> errors or warnings in any of my engravings.
>
>   I don't know what was the cause of the speedup, but it is
> appreciated! I have been using the MacPorts version of Lilypond 2.24.3
> compared to this recent test release.

Thanks for testing! The performance advantage probably comes from Guile
3.0 in our binaries of 2.25.14 versus Guile 2.2 with the MacPorts
version, having a faster startup time which matters especially for
smaller files. If you have some time, I would be really interested in
seeing a comparison with LilyPond 2.25.14 from
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/packages/23923980 when the
x86_64 executable is run through Rosetta on Apple Silicon...

Jonas