Re: Cue clefs

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Cue clefs
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:53:28 +0100

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 at 22:13, Gerardo Ballabio <gerardo.ballabio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. It says this -- but it works:
>
> programming error: No spacing entry from BarLine to `cue-clef'
> continuing, cross fingers

Ah yes, I hadn't paid attention to that. In that case, let's add a spacing entry between BarLine and cue-clef (I used the same spacing as for clef).

\override Staff.BarLine.space-alist = #'((ambitus extra-space . 1.0)
  (time-signature extra-space . 0.75)
  (custos minimum-space . 2.0)
  (clef extra-space . 1.0)
  (cue-clef extra-space . 1.0)
  (key-signature extra-space . 1.0)
  (key-cancellation extra-space . 1.0)
  (first-note semi-shrink-space . 1.3)
  (next-note semi-fixed-space . 0.9)
  (right-edge extra-space . 0.0))

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/internals/barline

> Just in case I need this for something else, where was the cue-clef
> before you moved it?

See the standard settings in the Internals Reference:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/internals/breakalignment

> Yes. See attached.

Does it come from a handwritten score or from a well-known publishing house? Unless you really want to reproduce the score as is, I'd suggest adding the cue end clef. Gould (probably the most comprehensive contemporary reference on musical notation) mentions on page 573 of Behind Bars: "Reinstate the player's clef before an entry" (and all her examples do it, without exception).

By the way, she also mentions "When a cue clef begins immediately after the barline, place the cue clef before the barline" (which is LilyPond's default).

Kind regards,
Xavier