Re: Unable to align lyric to rests (with MWE)

From: Jakob Pedersen
Subject: Re: Unable to align lyric to rests (with MWE)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 08:31:39 +0100

Good morning,

I think the original is possible only because the lyrics are different. If you want to write the melody with the lyrics to the second stanza only, it would make no sense to have lyrics corresponding to a rest.

A version with the second stanza text only could look like this:

global = {
  \time 4/4
  \key b \major
  \tempo 4=80
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
     \relative c' {
     \global
        r4 fis8 fis8 fis[ gis ais b] | gis4 dis8[ ais'~] ais4 r4 |
        r4 r16 cis, cis cis dis4 e8 fis |

    \addlyrics {
       but  it's writ -- ten in the star -- light __ _
       and ev' -- ry line on your

If you wanted to copy the original and have both stanzas, you could indicate in the score that the note was to be omitted in some cases, either by reducing the note size (as I've done on the word "but") or a parenthesis (as I've done on the word "and".)

global = {
  \time 4/4
  \key b \major
  \tempo 4=80
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
     \relative c' {
     \global
        r4 \once \magnifyMusic 0.63 fis8 \noBeam fis8 fis[ gis ais b] | gis4 dis8[ ais'~] ais4 r4 |
        r4 r16 \parenthesize cis, cis[ cis] dis4 e8 fis |

    \addlyrics {
       "" and though they did hurt me so bad __
       "" in the fear and a
   }

    \addlyrics {
       but  it's writ -- ten in the star -- light __ _
       and ev' -- ry line on your

You can skip a note in the lyrics by entering an empty syllable with "", but it only occurs in situations such as these where two sets of words don't match the melody.

I hope this was helpful,

Jakob

ps. Splendid song, by the way. It always reminds me of the end of the episode Two Cathedrals in the show The West Wing where it's used rather masterfully.