Re: Emacs Mode Problem with includes

From: Laurie Savage
Subject: Re: Emacs Mode Problem with includes
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:28:57 +1100

Thanks David,

I think I'll stay with Frescobaldi! Emacs doesn't seem to edit .ly files any more easily so there isn't much advantage in tweaking it to behave with my customised Include files. As for your question about where I found the documentation for the location of my Includes: Options > Customise Emacs -> All Settings Matching > "lilypond".

It's a shame, I found Emacs to be the best LaTeX editor I tried.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2023 at 16:19, David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Tue 14 Nov 2023 at 07:04:39 (+1100), Laurie Savage wrote:
> Thanks, I should have spotted that.

So presumably the "cannot find file" error went away when you
corrected the full path "/home/Laurie/Lilypond/includes/jazzchords.ily"
but how about when you type only:

  \include "jazzchords.ily"

Does that also work?

> But I'm not sure why this setting
> hasn't been picked up by Emacs lilypond mode:
>
>  Lilypond Include Path: String: /home/laurie/Lilypond/includes
>     State : SAVED and set.
>     LilyPond include path.
> Groups: Lilypond
>
> I don't want to type the full file path everytime I use one of my includes.

That looks like something to do with Frescobaldi; is that so?
I'm not clear on how emacs would parse a .ily file that you
included (as opposed to reading it into a buffer for you to edit).

> > On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 02:45:26PM +1100, Laurie Savage wrote:
> > >    I set this in my ~/.emacs file
> > >    (custom-set-variables
> > >     '(LilyPond-include-path "/home/laurie/Lilypond/includes")
> > >     '(LilyPond-lilypond-command "/usr/bin/lilypond"))

Where did you find that documented? It doesn't look like the way
I include files in emacs. I use the standard ones included in the
LilyPond archive, by means of the lines displayed here:

  $ grep lily ~/.emacs
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/lilypond-init")
  (load-library "lilypond-init")
  $

  $ ls -Glg ~/.emacs.d/lilypond-init ~/.emacs.d/lilypond-init/
  lrwxrwxrwx 1   62 Nov 13 18:28 /home/myself/.emacs.d/lilypond-init -> /home/myself/lilypond-2.24.0-linux-x86_64/share/emacs/site-lisp

  /home/myself/.emacs.d/lilypond-init/:
  total 140
  -rw-r----- 1 10492 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-font-lock.el
  -rw-r----- 1 22500 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-indent.el
  -rw-r----- 1  1015 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-init.el
  -rw-r----- 1 43307 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-mode.el
  -rw-r----- 1 20754 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-song.el
  -rw-r----- 1  8988 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-what-beat.el
  -rw-r----- 1 16402 Dec 13  2022 lilypond-words.el
  $

(Symlink refreshed at login to point to the most up-to-date version.)

Failing to find a load-library in the load-path provokes this error
from emacs:

  File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, lilyPond-init

whereas your error message below was from LilyPond:

> > > /home/laurie/Doc…Traditional.ly:3:10: error: cannot find file:
> > > `/home/Laurie/Lilypond/includes/jazzchords.ily'
> > > (search path: `/home/laurie/Documents/Charts/Trans… …

Cheers,
David.